Adventures in Machine Knitting Part Deux – Brother KH965
Having everything set up this week has actually made me a bit more determined to get the hang of machine knitting. I’ve joined a very friendly Ravelry group who have been really helpful, and with a bit of practice I’ve got the hang of threading the machine correctly. I think this was why I was dropping stitches – and today I even managed to pick some back up again!
Here’s owl no.3 – looking slightly better than my first attempt, although he’s a bit scruffy as the colours have laddered slightly. I’ve learned what caused this now – that the contrast colour also needs to go all the way to the edge of the knitting, which wasn’t something I’d considered when programming in the picture.
So rather than the stress of re- programming the image, which I think I’ll put on hold for a bit, I thought I’d have a go at some of the patterns already in the machine.
Here are some rams:
And some elephants!
I’m definitely finding using the knitting machine easier with practice – like all new things I suppose. I even found I was looking at patterns for jumpers (I’d like a nice lacy one please) but had to slow myself down.
Not much else to report today – it was beautifully sunny outside and I stayed in doing this! I will get out more tomorrow 🙂
Finally I got around to playing with my knitting machines!
It was my new years resolution to get my head around my knitting machines, which have been sat under my bed for about two years. I bought them from the PDSA shop with the intention of making myself tons of new clothes, and some stuff to sell on Etsy. TMy problem was, I bought two – a Brother KH260 and a KH965. It turned out that I thought the 965 was FAR more exciting, as it’s electronic and knits fair isle, so I tried to run before I could walk and started trying to knit pictures from day one. Whoops! So when the stitches came off the needles, I got frustrated and packed it away, intending to learn properly someday.
Last week my friend Jen from our weekly Stitch n’ Bitch came over to help me master the beast. Firstly we got the 260 working and made a small swatch in stocking stitch, before getting excited by the possiblities of the 965 again. Thinking it might be a wiser decision to practice using one colour, rather than going straight to two again, we thought we’d give this tuck stitch pattern a go:
That managed to take us all of about 2 hours to master, despite the manual being really well written! It was nice to kick start my motivation to get to know these machines though. I’m intending to do the Brother Home Study Course on the KH260 to learn how to use the latch tool properly and make it my friend! (Currently I just think it’s easier to hand knit, but I think it would be a nice extra skill to have..)
If anyone has any other links that might be useful for a beginner, throw them my way! 🙂